Friday, February 8, 2013

Welcome To My World

I've finally gone and done it.  I'm blogging!  I've been creating blogs in my mind for the last two months.  Now that I can put type to page, I'm speechless.  Such a large blank white space to fill.    Also my heart is racing a mile a minute.  I've finally committed myself to exposure and scrutiny.  Terrifying.

See, to understand, you have to know that I'm a 50 something, less than computer literate farm woman trapped in a part time job of no consequence living in suburbia.  Yea, that about sums it up nicely.  I'm on a journey to find something more invigorating, creative and soul satisfying.  Who isn't?  My dream involves moving to remote parts of Michigan, husband in tow, and creating an alpaca farm, with chickens, and maybe a goat or two and a garden and oh maybe a horse or two.  Actually the goats are more my husband's dream than mine, but I can compromise.

How do I plan to get from my suburban lifestyle to my dream?  Lots of patience (not my strong suit) and a plan.  My husband (to be know henceforth as J) will retire from one of the big three (for those non-Michiganders that is GM, Ford, and Chrysler) in March of 2015, after 30 years of lots of overtime and night shifts.  By the way that is only 2 years away, in case anyone is counting.  We will be packed and ready to buzz the minute his time is up.  In the meantime we are busy scouring realtor.com for potential property.  Also I'm trying to stay in the moment and live life now, instead of in the future, dreaming of what's to come.  Not to say that dreaming is a bad thing but too much of it will numb you to the here and now.  Who knows what you may miss along the way.

So, I'm trying to expand my current horizons so my stuck in a rut life has a little variety.   I've just signed up to learn how to knit.  A six week class on Tuesday mornings (I had to request Tuesdays off at work).  Next I want to conquer crocheting.  I have visions of stylish sweaters, vests and maybe freestyle wall art bouncing around in my head.  

My plan, over the next two years is, number one, get our current tri-level home ready to sell.  Obviously we want to get as much as possible for our current home so we can apply any profits (hopefully) towards a down payment on our farm to be.  I have several unfinished projects that need to be completed.  More about those at a later date.

Two, I also want to winnow out unnecessary or unwanted furniture and accessories.  I foresee a large estate sale in our near future.

Three, I want to spend the next two years working at a place I enjoy, with hours that somewhat coincide with my husband's and that allows me to be creative.  I foresee a job change in the near future.

I foresee a lot of changes in the future.  Hmmm....

Four, I want to become as knowledgeable about alpacas as I can and become prepared for "farm life".  This year I vow to have a more successful garden by utilizing square foot gardening www.squarefootgardening.com.  My gardening the last couple of years has had limited success partly due to it's location lacking sufficient yellow rays and partly due to marauding wildlife (deer, groundhogs, rabbits and perhaps a skunk or raccoon or two).

If any of this sounds remotely interesting, check back and join me on my journey.

D :)

Demon cat, Lucy!

Backyard snow.

The birds are wondering what happened to the food?

My backyard shed, winterized!


No comments:

Post a Comment