Monday, September 21, 2015

An Update To The Update

Sunrise the other morning.
The latest Caroline news is cautiously optimistic.  I've spent the last three days worrying about Sweet Caroline and I'm tired of worrying.  Her eye is swollen but appears to be healing as the swelling has gone down marginally from yesterday.  My biggest worry is that she is not eating much.  She still follows the girls out to the pasture when they go to graze and then she will plop herself down in a cush (alpaca form of lying down with all four legs tucked under them).  I just don't see much grazing going on.  In a conversation with the vet today he was concerned too.  He feels, because her ear and lip are still drooping on the injured side there is some nerve damage.  His hope is that it will heal over time, provided Caroline eats enough to sustain herself.  He suggested I give her a slurry of alpaca crumbles mixed with water.  I tried.  It went over like a dog bite.  I did succeed in getting some to stay inside her.  She doesn't like me to touch her, look at her, or talk to her.  She basically is hating me right now.  Can't say I blame her.  Every time I put a lead rope on her she knows I'm going to do something unpleasant to her.  

This is Caroline's "new look".  The reddish color is due to the Scarlet Oil I spray on her sutures each morning.  It is an antiseptic and helps keep the flies away.
In the mean time with the help of our wonderful friend Ray, we've completed the stalls.  I'm so pleased with the way they turned out and once again, we are so thankful for Ray's help.


The Girl's "Stall"

The Boy's Stall

We've gotten one load of hay.  This week we hope to get a load of straw and another smaller load of hay.  This alpaca business is such a big learning curve for me.  Having had horses I thought I would be prepared.  Huh!  Nothing about an alpaca is like a horse.  From how much they eat and what they eat, to their behavior, to, of course, their looks.  I find myself second guessing every decision I make.  Ask me in a year if I'm comfortable with alpaca care.  Right now I'm stressing.

I'm excited though that we have stalls and hay!  One small step forward.  Many more to go.

The girls in the pasture.  Caroline is right in the middle cushing away.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment