Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Barn Done - Check!

Ta Da - A Barn!  Northwest view showing the "Girl's" side and the chicken coop in the front corner.


Northeast view of the Barn - The "Boy's" Side


The Boys and Girls each have an open lean-to area to catch some shade and stay out of the rain.  There is also a door in each lean-to leading into the barn where they will have a large "stall".  Their water will be located in here.  This stall will probably be utilized mostly in the winter.
 
Today, the concrete guys showed up, a few days late, but they were here before 8:00 a.m.  They finished by 3:30.  Of course I forgot to take pictures after the concrete was in.  Tomorrow I will.  Next on the agenda is the excavator.  He needs to come and do his final grade around the exterior of the barn, so we can bring the fencing up to the barn.  After that we can bring home the alpacas!

With the help of our son-in-law, our son, and my folks we have completed 3/4 of the fencing.  The rest can't be done until the excavator does his thing.  Thank you again to my family.  You were all a tremendous help!

This will be the "girls" pasture.


This will be the boy's pasture.

I was pretty intimidated by the fence project.  Now I feel like an ole pro.  It had it's challenges.  Like lifting a 15 pound t-post pounder over a six foot high t-post and literally pounding the steel t-post into the ground for two feet.  That gave my arms a pretty good workout.  Now I'll be walking around with bulging biceps while the rest of my body is sagging.  Ha, time for a new trend.

Before: A tree in the south east pasture needing some cleaning up.

I've spent the last two days, cleaning up overgrown tree scapes.  The two trees are both located in the southeast pasture which I will be using as a rotational pasture.  Meaning when the alpacas have chewed down the pasture they're in I can switch them to this pasture for a few weeks and let the grass grow back in their pasture.  Since I don't have a chain saw, mower or heavy duty weed wacker (I know, what kind of farmer am I?), I used my hand loppers and my landscape shears.  It's been a pain, quite frankly.  Of course, the weather has been hot with an extra helping of humidity.  Ugh, my least favorite kind of weather.  But I got er done!


After:  Isn't she looking slick?

It still needs some lower branches trimmed but that will have to wait for a chain saw.

There still will be things to do in the barn.  The electrician will need to do his magic so we can have lights and electricity.  We will need to enclose the "stalls".  We still need to buy hay and straw.  Oh my gosh, I'm just going to stop now, before I get overwhelmed.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment