Sunday, September 13, 2015

They're Here!

There are now officially alpacas in the field!

The boys checking out the girls in the next pasture.  L to R: Commanche, Bo Jangles and Rafael.

The girls next door.

The boys seem to be enjoying their grass.

Finally I can look from the back deck and see alpacas.  The boys are in the pasture to the left of the barn and the girls are in the paddock to the right.
It was a hectic morning as Jeff and I scrambled to finish the fencing.  We worked yesterday until it was dark but didn't quite finish.  So we were at it bright and early this morning and just finished in time to pick up the alpacas.  When we arrived at Benchmark Farm, Barrie Lynn had me give everyone their invermictin shots (wormer).  That was a much needed hands on trainer but a tad nerve wracking.  I sure was nervous.  Apparently I did okay and we got every paca loaded up in Craig's (our generous neighbor's) stock trailer.  The boys were quite excited to be so close to the girls.  The trailer had a partition, so they were only close enough to see and smell them but not touch.

They all settled down once we hit the road and we had an uneventful ride home.  That was a relief.  
Checking things out just before we unloaded at home.
Once home we got the boys in their pasture and girls in theirs.  Unfortunately, Caroline still has a wonky eye (actually it looks like something out of a horror show).  She still needs penicillin shots two times per day.  So I had to give her shot to her this evening.  Corralling her was the hardest part.  Barrie Lynn made it look so easy.  Jeff and I chased the girls around the paddock several times before I got Caroline cornered.  I'm kinda dreading tomorrow mornings shot.  Jeff was less than enthusiastic about helping (understandably) but he did.


I will need to have the vet out as soon as possible just to make sure the eye is healing properly and to get more penicillin and eye drops.

Tomorrow is a new day to start with a fresh approach and some much needed sleep. I can't believe my seven year dream has become a reality!

1 comment: