Saturday, August 20, 2016

End Of Summer?

Trying to keep cool!

I just realized I haven't posted since the beginning of summer and now sadly we are approaching too quickly the end of summer.  Even though it was unusually hot and humid for July and the beginning of August, I am not, repeat not, ready for fall.  After fall comes snow (that dirty four letter word) and I am definitely not ready for that.

Babies, crias, that is, are due 9/24, 9/30 and 10/3.  I am nervous and excited.  I'm reading up on all the ways an alpaca birth can go horribly wrong and it makes me a tad worried.  I did, however, make some new alpaca farmer friends that have a 65 alpacas and 13 years experience.  They are only the next town over.  I find that comforting as they assured me I could call at the first hint of trouble.  They even gave me their phone number!

The three mama's to be, Twizzler, Birdie and Felicity are getting big.  Poor Felicity is struggling with the heat.  She is a mature momma of 17 and I have assured her this will be her last cria.  She just rolls her eyes at me and grunts.  "Isn't helping now!"

The chickens are silly to watch and somewhat annoying.  The three chickie doos are a challenge to corral in the evenings and contain in the coop.  I've spent exasperating minutes chasing one chicken from the girls side of the pasture to the boys.

Winnifred is still faithfully producing a daily egg.  The chickie doos should start laying in September.  I've rewarded Winnie with a new nesting box.  All the chickens think the nesting boxes are the roosting boxes.  

This is how the chickens usually sleep at night, crowding in two nesting boxes.


I've come out several mornings to a crushed Winnie egg in a nesting box.  The new nesting box should put a stop to that.

Winnie testing the new nesting box while Dolores looks on.

So I came home the other day to box from the Suri Network Fleece Show sitting on the kitchen table.  I knew that meant The Suri Network had mailed back my fleeces along with the results.

Rafael and Twizzler took out the competition with a one, two punch.
Woo Hoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment