Friday, October 28, 2016

Fall, Going, Going, Gone?

So I was highly disappointed early this week when my efforts to finish up outside farm projects were rudely interrupted by the appearance of snow on Wednesday the 26th of October!  We're not talking about a few flakes lazely drifting down.  We're talking about snow all day!


At 2:00 in the afternoon.



At 6:00 p.m. in the evening.

As of today, Friday, we still have snow piles where the snow slid off the barn roof. 
The fall colors were so brief this year and have already disappeared.

The last of the fall colors.

My homage to fall.

Crias napping in the fall sun.
Good bye fall, I'm truly sorry to see you go!

Despite the lack of cooperation from the weather, I managed to start on a project that I have to complete soon.  That is the construction of a creep feeder.  "A what?" you say.  As did Jeff.  A creep feeder is a small enclosed area that only the crias will have access to where they can safely go to eat without worrying about adults stealing their food.  At about two months of age the crias should have access to alpaca crumbles as they slowly start the transition to solid foods.  I purchased two dog kennel panels, created a small corner next to the stall, cut a cria size hole in the stall wall to allow access and began construction of a hay/crumble feeder.  To be continued.

With our friend Ray's help the third stall is now complete with a gate.

Thanks Ray!  It will be very useful come March.
Finally I want to let you know that I have an Etsy account where I am selling my "alpaca goods."  There is a button on the upper side of my blog page that will take you to my Etsy page, Zephyr Alpaca Goods.  I'm offering yarn as of now but will soon have roving available and hopefully other wares.  

Five silky soft natural colored alpaca yarns available on our Etsy shop. 

Roving which is great for hand spinners, felting and crafts.  Available soon on my Etsy account.

The last glimpse of the fall colors.

June Bug and Faith enjoying the last of the nice weather.

"Hey Sting Ray, can I tell you a secret?  Fall is gone!"


No comments:

Post a Comment