Friday, October 25, 2013

Home Sweet Farm!

The future home of D & J's alpaca farm.

Today Jeff and I headed north to Evart, Michigan, where we met with the building inspector at the house which we will own, God willing, by the end of this year.  The house was built in 2004 and is on 27.5 acres of open rolling pastureland.  Perfect for our future alpaca farm! 

There is not a barn or fencing but the property and house are the ideal starting point to build from.  The house passed the inspection with only two small imperfections that need to be corrected.  The water from the well is being tested and results should be on Monday.  The inspector deemed the house a "well built home."  We won't need to invest money in "fixing it up," because it is in move in condition.  Except maybe for the interior paint colors.  The designer in me will require paint color changes.  Yes, most assuredly.  Fortunately I have lots of hands on experience in that department and come to think of it, so does my daughter, and my mother, and my father...hmmm.  I see the beginnings of a fine painting crew.  We will build a barn and install fences come spring.

After the inspection we headed to the bank to fill out an application for the mortgage.  The last time we bought a house was over 15 years ago.  Times, they have changed.  Two hours later, after signing away my daughter, the four cats, and seven grand kids, we had completed said application.  Jeez.  The good news is mortgage rates still remain low.  The bad news is the feds are pretty picky about appraisals.  We all know (J & I, our realtor Julie, the building inspector, the cows across the road), the price we are getting the property at is a bargain.  I'm praying that someone tells the appraiser the same thing.

Let me take you on a quick tour.

The front.

The side.

Our back deck!

Look I even have an old fashioned clothes line!

Looking southwest at our future pastures/hay field from the back of the house.

Looking southeast at future pastures.  Our property ends at the tree line.

The front "lawn."

The house from the road.
The carport and tree are the likeliest site for the future barn.

Does this look like the perfect chicken coop or what?

The view from our front porch.

I can't believe we have finally arrived at this point after looking for years.  It is giving substance to the daydreams I've conjured.  Now that I have a canvas to create from I can't wait to get started. 

D :)

No comments:

Post a Comment